Privacy has always been an important part of how we do business. Through this policy we would like to make our practices concerning information collection and use absolutely clear. This policy explains our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way information is collected and used.
The Information We Collect
At Maine Public Service, we do not collect personally identifiable information about you through our website unless you voluntarily provide it. At any time, you may opt out of providing such personally identifiable information by simply not providing it or by discontinuing your use of the Maine Public Service website.
Examples of information which you may voluntarily provide to us while using our site include:
- E-mail address
- Phone Number
- Account Number (if you are a current customer)
- Social Security Number
- Information about your computer and browser
- Gender and ethnicity (if you inquire about programs applicable to minorities)
If you want to customize some areas within our site and you ask detailed questions or request information that meets your specific needs, you will supply some personally identifiable information. This may include identifying topics of interest, supplying your title and function for business users, providing a home/office address, or filling out account information for billing questions.
To improve our website, we collect information on the number of visits to our website, the time visitors spend on the website, the number of pages viewed and the domains from which visitors visit our website. This information is only analyzed by us in the aggregate; it is not associated with any specific individuals.
Parts of our website use "cookies." A cookie is a piece of data stored on your hard drive or in your computer's memory containing information about your visit and preferences. You may receive a cookie that compiles site usage information (number of visitors, most popular pages, etc.) and enhances your experience on our website. Many popular browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information you voluntarily provide to:
- Fulfill your request
- Help you quickly find and/or receive information about Maine & Maritimes Corporation or one of its affiliated companies
- Alert you to updated information and services
- Provide more complete service
- Improve the content of our website for your reference
- Answer your questions
In some cases, we may contact you to let you know about new products and/or services. If you do not wish to be contacted by us for this purpose, you may provide this request by e-mailing us at email@example.com.
Maine Public Service does not sell the personally identifiable information you provide for financial gain, nor does Maine Public Service share such information with third parties for the purpose of sending you advertisements for products and services unaffiliated with Maine Public Service or with its affiliates or business partners. Maine Public Service may, however, share personally identifiable information that you may provide to us for legitimate business purposes, including without limitation the following:
- transferring such information to Maine Public Service, unless such transfer is prohibited by law;
- transferring such information as part of a merger, consolidation, acquisition, divestiture or other corporate restructuring, including bankruptcy;
- making such information available to third parties who are providing the product, service or information that you have requested, but never your password;
- making such information available to third parties who are providing services to Maine Public Service (e.g., providing such information to third parties performing computer-related services for Maine Public Service, but never your password);
- disclosing such information is allowed by law or our legal counsel forms a good-faith belief that such disclosure is required by federal or state law, subpoena, or court order.
By providing personally identifiable information, you expressly consent to these privacy practices.
Also, Maine Public Service reserves the right to share any aggregated information (i.e., non-personally identifiable information) with any third parties for any reason, unless prohibited by law.
Given the nature of the internet and the fact that no security system is perfect, Maine Public Service does not absolutely promise that the information you provide will never be obtained by unauthorized persons. Maine Public Service does, however, utilize industry-standard practices to protect your personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, alteration and destruction. Such measures include using firewalls and Secure Sockets Layers (SSL) to protect certain sensitive transmissions of information. In some areas of our website, we require a user ID and password for you to access certain information. Maine Public Service will not disclose such password to third parties; however, you are responsible for maintaining the privacy and security of your password.
Obtaining and Correcting Personally Identifiable Information
If you wish to obtain a copy of the personally identifiable information we have obtained from you through your use of this site, or you believe that we have personally identifiable information about you that is in error, or you wish to delete any personally identifiable information that we have obtained from you through your use of our website, please contact us using the information below:
How To Reach Us
||PO Box 1209
||Presque Isle, ME 04769-1209
||Submit a question or comment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to Non-Maine Public Service Sites